|Elementary Microbiology (Paper Code: 17010206)|
|Introduction to general microbiology:-
Microbiology: development and history, spontaneous generation and biogenesis, role of microorganisms-agriculture, fermentation, disease, Application of microbiology; bacterial physiology & metabolism.
Classification-prokaryotes & eukaryotes general characteristics of bacteria, virus, algae fungi,& protozoa – distribution occurrence morphology,reproduction
Role of microbes in Agriculture:-Beneficial microbes in agriculture: biofertilizers plant diseases & plant-microbe interactions Biodegradation, Biogas genetically modified organisms for crop improvement.
|Role of Microbes in soil and food microbiology:-
Soil microbiology: microbial habitats, microbial interactions, introduction to biogeochemical cycles – carbon, nitrogen, sulphur and phosphorus; role of microbus in composting, industry; micro flora of rhizosphere and phyclosphere. Germ theory
|Desirable to Know|
|Bacteriophages – structure & properties viroids and prions. food: microbial food spoilage preservation;||4||Nice to Know|
Demonstration on instruments and glassware used in a basic microbiology laboratory. Study of different components of microscope.
Microscopic observation fungi/ algae/bacteria /actinomycetes using oil immersion objective. Principle of staining: gram staining, Basic sterilisation technique using autoclave/ hot air over/ filtration.
Enumeration of bacterial plating techniques- pour plate. streak plate for isolation & purification of media Isolation of rhizobium from legume modules by streak plate method. Demonstration of biofertilizer preparation for inoculation and seed inocubation with biofertilizers
|Negative staining Basic media preparation technique:- nutrient, agar, nutrient broth. spore staining .Microbial isolation from air/demonstration of waste utilization/composting and biogas production||
|Desirable to Know|
|Visit to biogas Production.||1||Nice to Know|
1. Tauro, P., Kapoor, K.K. and Yadav, K.S. 1989. An Introduction to Microbiology. Wiley Publications, New Delhi.
2. Sharma, P.D. 2007. Microbiology, Rastogi publishers
3. Alexander, M. 1985. Introduction to Soil Microbiology .John Wiley and Sons , New York.
4. Bhagyaraj, D.J, and Ramaswami, G. 2007. Agricultural microbiology, PHI learning
5. Subba Rao, N.S. 1999 .Soil microbiology 4th ed .Oxford and IBH , New Delhi.
6. Subba Rao, N.S. 1999 .Biofertilizers in Agricultural and Agroforestry .Oxford and IBH , New Delhi.
7. Pelczar,M.J.,Chan, E.C.S.and Kreig, N.R. 1998. Microbiology. Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Co., Ltd., New Delhi.
8. Stanier ,R.Y., Ingraham, Wheelis ,M.G. and Paintor ,P.R. 1986.The Microbiology World. Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
Elementary Microbiology (Paper Code: 17010206)
- Elementary Microbiology (Paper Code: 17010206)