|Principles of Plant Breeding (Paper Code: 17010304)|
Aims and objectives of plant breeding Floral biology, pollination and emasculation techniques in cereals, millets, pulses, oil seeds, fibers, plantation crops etc;
modes of reproduction, sexual, asexual, apomixis and their classification; significance in plant breeding; modes of pollination, genetic consequences, differences between self and cross pollinated crops.
Methods of breeding: introduction and acclimatization; selection, mass selection, Johannson’s pure line theory, genetic basis, pure line selection; hybridization, types of hybridization; methods of handling of segregating generations, pedigree method, bulk method, back cross method and modified methods.
Incompatibility and male sterility and their utilization in crop improvement; heterosis, inbreeding depression, various theories of heterosis,
exploitation of hybrid vigour development of inbred lines, single cross and double cross hybrids. Population improvement programmes, recurrent selection,
|synthetics and composites; methods of breeding for vegetatively propagated crops; clonal selection; mutation breeding; ploidy breeding;||
|Desirable to Know|
|wide hybridization, significance in crop improvement.||2||Nice to Know|
Floral biology; study of megasporogenesis and microsporogenesis; fertilization and life cycle of an angiospermic plant;
plant breeder’s kit; emasculation and hybridization techniques and precautions to be taken; floral morphology,
selfing, emasculation and crossing techniques; study of male sterility and incomapatibility in field plots e.g., rice, sorghum, maize, bajra, sugarcane, groundnut, sesamum, redgram, greengram, soybean, blackgram, chillies, brinjal, tomato; bhendi, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, cotton ,.
|jute, sunhemp||2||Desirable to Know|
|Nice to Know|
1. Allard, R.W. 1960. Principles of Plant Breeding. John Wiley and Sons INC. USA. Toppan Co. Ltd. Japan
2. Choudhari, T.C. 1982. Introduction to Plant Breeding. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi
3. Elliot. 1958. Plant Breeding and Cytogenetics. Mc Grow Hill. New York
4. Hayward, M.D., Bosemark, N.O and Romagosa (eds) 1993 Plant breeding- principles and prospects Chapman and Hall, London
5. Kuckuck, H. Kobabe, G. and Wenzel, G. 1996 Fundamentals of plant breeding Narosa Publishing House
6. Chahal, G. S., Gosal, S. S. 2002 Principles and Procedures of Plant Breeding: Biotechnological and Conventional Approaches, Alpha science international
7. Sharma, J.R. 1989. Principles and Practice of Plant Breeding. Tata Mc Graw – Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi.
8. Singh, B.D. 2001. Fundamentals of Genetics. Kalyani Publishers. New Delhi. Ludhiana
9. Singh, B.D. 2003. Plant Breeding Principles and Methods. Kalyani Publishers. New Delhi/ Ludhiana
Principles of Plant Breeding (Paper Code: 17010304)
- Principles of Plant Breeding (Paper Code: 17010304)