|Production Technology of Vegetable Crops (Paper Code: 17010308)|
Importance and scope of olericulture; role of vegetables in human nutrition; classification of vegetable crops; fundamentals of vegetable production
Types of vegetable gardening; origin, area, production, agronomy; varieties, sowing time, seed rate, cultural practices, plant protection measures and harvesting of potato, tomato, brinjal, chilli, cauliflower and cabbage.
Origin, area, production, agronomy; varieties, sowing time, seed rate, cultural practices, plant protection measures and harvesting of peas, cowpea, cluster bean, onion, garlic, carrot, radish and turnip.
Origin, area, production, agronomy; varieties, sowing time, seed rate, cultural practices,
plant protection measures and harvesting of okra, watermelon, muskmelon, bottle gourd, and fenugreek.
|Sweet potato, beet leaf||1||Desirable to Know|
|Nice to Know|
Identification of vegetable seeds, plants and varieties; planning and
layout of a kitchen garden
Preparation of nursery beds, seedbeds; seed treatment before sowing; raising of seasonal vegetable nursery hardening of seedlings and associated treatments
transplanting and aftercare of seedlings and aftercare; critical stages and methods of irrigation manures and fertilizers application
cultural operations and weed management in vegetable crops
|Pot/terrace vegetable gardening.||4||Desirable to Know|
|visit to a commercial vegetable farm/kitchen garden||2||Nice to Know|
- Bose, T. K. and Som, M. G. 1990. Vegetable Crops in India. Naya Prokash, Calcutta.
- Chadha, K. L. 2003. Handbook of Horticulture, ICAR, New Delhi.
- Choudhury, B.1983. Vegetables. National Book Trust, New Delhi.
- Das, P. C.1993. Vegetable crops in India. Kalyani Publishers
- Gopalakrishnan, T. R. 2007. Vegetable Crops. New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi.
- Hazra, P. and Som, M. G. 1999. Technology for vegetable Production and Improvement. Naya Prokash, Calcutta
- Kallo, G. Tomato. Allied Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
- Thamburaj, S. and Singh, N. 2005. Vegetables, Tuber Crops and Spices. ICAR, New Delhi.